FAQ will guide you for various queries regarding voter registration process

I have shifted my residence recently. How do I ensure that I am enrolled in my new place of residence and my name is deleted from the old place?

  • You can do it online or offline(submitting manual form downloaded from our website). In case the new residence is in the same Assembly Constituency please fill up form 8A.If it is different assembly constituency please fill form 6. Hardcopy of the forms need to submit to ERO (Electoral Registration Officer) of the area of your new residence.

What all the documents required to apply for new voter ID card?

  • Passport size photograph
  • Age proof (passport/DL/PAN card/10th mark sheet/birth certificate/declaration by tahasiladar)
  • Address proof(Passport/DL/adhar card/bank statement/bank passbook/ration card/rental agreement/self-declaration/postal letter to your address)

I have shifted my residence recently. I have Photo ID Card with the old address. Can I get new ID Card for the present address?

  • First of all please ensure that you have enrolled yourself in the electoral rolls of the concerned Assembly Constituency, where you are now residing. The procedure is given as in Ans no.1. Subsequently, while filling form 6 you can mention your old id card details in declaration part or fill form 7 separately for deletion in old address.

My old ID Card is defective. I would like to have a new ID Card with correct particulars. What is the procedure?

  • You can get your ID Card rectified by depositing it in the Office of the ERO concerned or at Photography center when the work of preparation of Photo ID card begins.

I do not have a ration card. Can I get enrolled without a ration card? What are the other documents, which I can show as proof of my residence?

  • Ration Card is not indispensable, however you can show any other proof of residence like Passport, Bank Pass Book, Driving license, bank statement, adhar card, rental agreement, postal letter to your address,Self-declaration in stamp paper.

I am a tenant and my landlord does not want me to get enrolled. How can I get enrolled as a voter?

  • To get enrolled in the voter list is your legal right. Please check the Electoral roll of your area at the office of your ERO . If your name is not included please fill up form and deposit it with the ERO.

I have shifted my residence recently from another State where I was registered as a voter. I have an ID Card issued from the previous place of residence. How can I get a new ID Card at the present address and what am I to do with the old Card?

  • Please get enrolled by filling up form 6 and depositing the same along with the proof of residence in the office of ERO.

I will be attaining the age of 18 on 1st Jan next year. What proof do I need to show to get enrolled?

  • You can submit the proof of Date of Birth from the authorized agency (Passport, High School certificate, Date of Birth certificate etc.)

The Enumerator has visited my house and taken down the details. How do I ensure that my name is finally included in the electoral rolls ?

  • He must have handed over you record of Enumeration, which is your acknowledgement. You can check your name in smartvote website.

I have lost my old ID Card. How can I get a new ID Card?

  • An FIR is to be filed with the local police station who will issue a certificate which is to be produced before the ERO with 25 rupees fees. You will get a new ID Card thereafter.

Can my address proof be used for my parents/spouse?

  • Yes. Your address proof can be used for your immediate relation like parent/spouse/son/daughter. No extra proof required(like marriage certificate).

Can my company HR letter will work as address proof?

  • No

I am a NRI ,can I register?

  • Yes,you can by filling form 6A

Should I do online registration or offline?

  • Better to do online registration by going to the links provided in our website menu. Follow the guidelines provided in respective state CEO website.

What are the different kinds of forms available?

  • Form 6 - Applying for enrolment as a new voter i.e for the first time. Applying for change of address to another Assembly Constituency within your state or from any other place in the country i.e. the applicant is already a voter and has shifted his residence from one Assembly Constituency to another Assembly Constituency within same state or already has a Voter ID card from some other State/UT and is applying to be a voter in current state.
  • Form 6A - This Form is only for overseas (NRI) Electors.
  • Form-7 - Applying for deletion of your name from voter list of an assembly constituency.
  • Form 8 - Applying for correction of any entry in the Voter ID Card such as mistakes in spelling of name, age or any other particular
  • Form 8A - Applying for change of Address within the same Assembly Constituency i.e. the applicant is already a voter and has shifted his residence within the same Assembly Constituency


If you have any questions you may write a mail to us directly and we will answer.

Test Data